Sunday, October 3, 2010

Beat Pain… the natural way (Kate Bowery)

“I tired acupuncture to ease repetitive strain injury”
Kate Bowery, 36, a care worker from Lydney, Gloucestershire, is married to Peter, 40, and has a son Harley, 11.
The problem: "I have been in constant pain with RSI of the right elbow for two years. It stemmed from a previous job working long hours on a computer. The onset of pain was sudden and soon even simple things like picking up a cup would hurt. My GP .6rescribed cortisone injections, at-first numbed the pain but proved less effective each time."

Kate's verdict: "When I met acupuncturist Colin Biddle I wasn't sure what to expect. I lay on a couch and he warmed my skin before inserting the needles. It doesn't hurt or draw blood, though you can feel them hitting the nerves, which is strange. In the last month, I have had two half hour sessions costing £35 each. I'm still in pain but can straighten my right arm, which I couldn't do before. I'm definitely going to keep going there."
The conventional treatment: RSI is an umbrella term for injuries caused by the repetitive movement of a body part. Treatments include anti-inflammatory medicines, physiotherapy, steroid injections and in some cases, surgery.
How acupuncture works: According to traditional Chinese philosophy, our health is dependent on thtbody's energy - or qi - moving/in a smooth and balanced way through "channels" beneath the skin. By inserting fine needles into these channels, acupuncturists believe it stimulates the body's own healing response.
Also good for: Period cramps, stress, asthma, arthritis, bowel complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment